Travel Assistance Awards
Travel Assistance Awards
SEB will provide up to six travel assistance awards. Each award is up to $800 each. These awards are designed to assist members to travel to the SEB annual conference.
For airfare, the award reimburses travel expenses and the awardee must present the receipt for travel two weeks prior to the conference in order to be reimbursed. If the travel expenses are $800 or less the full amount on the receipts(s) is reimbursed. If the travel expenses are more than $800, then $800 will be reimbursed. The reimbursement check will be disbursed at the conference.
For car travel, the award will reimburse for mileage at the federal rate and will not exceed the maximum of $800 or the cost of coach fare purchased two weeks prior to the date of the conference. The reimbursement check will be disbursed at the conference.
An individual may apply for both the conference award and the travel assistance award.
Applicants must meet both of the following criteria to be eligible for the travel award:
- Be registered as a current member of the Society for Economic Botany; and
- Be currently registered as a member from a least developed country (full list by UN) or a country recently impacted by a major natural disaster. Note that your letter of support from your primary mentor must verify this status.
Applicants must assemble the following pieces of information, and submit all as a merged (single file) PDF document in the following order:
- Conference Abstract. Follow the SEB abstract guidelines for formatting. Abstracts must also be submitted through the web portal;
- Curriculum Vitae. Be sure to include a list of publications. Submitted publications which are currently in review may also be included. Publications “in-progress” should NOT be included on the CV;
- Statement of Interest. The statement of interest should be no longer than 1 single page. Applicants should address the following in their statement: 1) How your research is relevant to members of the Society for Economic Botany; 2) How attendance at this particular meeting is important to your career development; 3) How have you been involved in the SEB until now and how do you plan to be involved in the future? ; and
- Letter of Support. Your letter of support should come from your primary mentor/advisor or Department Chair. Letters must also confirm your current status as either a member from a least developed country or a country recently impacted by a major natural disaster (e.g., hurricanes).
- Save your PDF file as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME”.
Submission details (follow these carefully!):
These awards are not yet open for submission.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail as a single PDF file attachment in the above listed order to a Council member to be determined. Please write “SEB travel grant” in the email subject header. Again, make sure to save your PDF file as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME”. Confirmation for receipt of the application will follow by email. Note that you are also required to submit an abstract via the web portal (check the conference website for the due date).
Applications that do not meet the above-described format or that are submitted in multiple file attachments will not be considered for review. Likewise, any late applications will not be considered for review.
Award recipients are expected to present their research (poster or oral presentation) at the conference. They are also expected to write a brief account of their experience at the meeting for the SEB newsletter.